The air filter in your car is crucial to the health of your engine. It is responsible for keeping dirt, debris, and other harmful particles out of your vehicle while allowing fresh air into the engine. Without an air filter in your car, you could end up with costly damage to your car or even a trip to the shop. If you don’t replace the filter regularly, the engine won’t be able to suck enough air through and will lose power.
In addition, a dirty filter can allow dust and other particles into the car which could cause damage over time. The significance of air filters in cars is to keep the engine running at its best and also helps protect the environment by filtering out carbon particles from going into the atmosphere. Many car owners have a little confusion when it concerns maintaining the air filters in cars.
We often receive questions like what is the primary function of an air filter? When should it be replaced? How does it impact the car’s performance? And many more.
In this blog, we’ll answer all your queries about car air filters and help you understand how clean air filters optimize your car’s performance.
What is a car air filter?
Car air filters are responsible for cleaning the air entering the interior of your car through the air conditioning and heating systems. Suggestive from the name itself, they trap dust particles and other airborne elements and allow only clean air to enter inside your car. Some types of air filters, like carbon activated car filter, also works to retain foul odours, exhaust emissions and more. If you are particularly allergic to dust, pollen grains or anything airborne, having clean air filters in your car is a necessity unless you want to cough, sneeze or cry, the moment you get inside your car!
What are the top reasons to change cabin air filters?
The list of points below will make you aware of how important it is to replace your car air filter at regular intervals.
1. As a precaution against visibility and safety issues: It is fairly simple to understand that there won’t be any fresh air flow if the air filter is clogged with dirt and dust. When you change the air filter regularly, you not only breath fresh air but also get a clearer view of the outside and don’t have to continuously defog the car windows.
Ah. What a relief!
2. To improve the longevity of your car’s air conditioning/heating system: One thing is simple. A clean cabin filter has the power to maximize airflow like no other. Besides, it also enhances the lifespan of your car’s heating, air conditioning system and promotes better ventilation.
3. To improve your car’s performance: Who want their cars to run slow and entertain a myriad of engine problems every now and then? Not anyone in their sound mind! It is important to know that when the air flow is clean, it keeps the engine clean too. Furthermore, a combination of clean air and fuel is one of the best ways to maximize power and enhance your car’s performance.
4. Helps to save fuel: We all know how the fuel prices are escalating everyday, right? Clean air filters decrease fuel consumption and in return, maximize good combustion, ultimately, slashing down your spending on refilling the fuel tank.
5. To prevent harmful emissions: Dirty car air filters are the number one reason why you often spot vehicles that release jet black smoke and you start running 1 km away! If the air filter in your car is clogged, incomplete fuel combustion occurs and that’s the reason why your car releases dirty exhaust gas, signalling you need to replace your car air filters as soon as possible.
How is an air filter connected to your car’s performance?
Similar to any other parts of your car, like brake pads or tyres, the air filter in the engine of your car also requires a replacement after a certain period of time. We have already pointed out the primary function of the air filter in the earlier part of the blog. Now, while executing its function accurately, a large amount of dirt, debris and other pollutants begin accumulating on the surface of the air filters. As a consequence, the air flow that is necessary for the car engine to run efficiently, is obstructed.
Let’s refer to the example of a vacuum cleaner. When the vacuum bag or filter is filled up, the motor ceases to run effectively since it fails to receive 100% air flow. The same thing occurs to your car filter too. Most of the time, a clogged air filter may not impact your car’s mileage significantly as a flat tyre would do. However, dirty car filters can decrease the power of a car’s engine to a great extent. And if you continue to neglect and drive your car in this state, very soon, it can lead to catastrophic effects on your car engine’s components, requiring more expensive replacements.
What are the best benefits of having clean filters in your car?
Contrary to the popular belief, changing your car air filters at the right time is indeed a big deal. Want to know the advantages? Read them below:
- The cleaner the airflow, the better is your car’s performance: Clean and proper airflow plays an integral role in your vehicle’s performance. And how good is the quality of that flow is directly linked to how clean is your air filter.Clean air allows your car engine to breathe and function correctly by improving the combustion process.
- Reduced cost of maintenance: Just because air filters are tiny car equipment, we may not be so much worried about them. But the truth is, they do play an important role. Fortunately, air filters are inexpensive car components. Hence, if you install high-end car filters rather than the standard ones, they will perform better, last longer and save you more money down the line.
- Improved fuel efficiency: Having clean air filters is imperative should you want to improve fuel economy. With no dirt or dust accumulated in the air filter, there will be a proper mixture of air and fuel, allowing your car to utilize fuel more efficiently. On the contrary, dirty air filters allow your car to consume more fuel than necessary.
With that, we come to the end of our discussion on the significance of air filters in cars. A car air filter is a crucial component of the engine and will affect how well it runs. Filters trap dirt, dust, pollen, and other contaminants that can accumulate on the interior surfaces of your vehicle when you drive with windows open or live in an urban environment. If left unchanged for too long, they could cause problems like reduced fuel efficiency or decreased performance from internal parts such as carburettors or emission controls. It’s important to get clean filters installed before any issues arise so make sure yours are swapped out regularly! At Swezo, you can connect with thousands of qualified automotive mechanics and car parts sellers at affordable prices. Need clean air filters? Looking for a mechanic to do the job? Post a request & get started!