The Door Lock Actuator is responsible for the locking and unlocking of the car door. If it’s malfunctioning, we recommend immediate car door lock actuator replacement to ensure your car doors are working properly. Let’s learn more about the service below.
What is a Door Lock Actuator?
The Door Lock Actuator is an application that allows you to lock and unlock doors remotely. A button press required to lock or unlock the door causes the door lock switch to trigger the actuator. The actuator contains a small motor that triggers a set of gears. The last gear converts the rotational motion into a vertical motion that locks or unlocks the door. This gear is attached to a rack and pinion set of gears.
Why do you need a Car Door Lock Actuator Replacement?
If the car door lock actuator stops working, the communication between the car door lock switch and the door locks will be broken. In simple terms, you will not be able to lock or unlock the car doors. Hence, replacement becomes necessary as it’s not safe to drive with car doors that don’t lock or unlock properly.
However, it is important to remember that a lot of modern vehicles consist of a complete door lock assembly that can’t be separated into different components. And if the door locks in such cars are not functioning, you will need to replace the entire assembly instead of just one component like the actuator. Contact your mechanic and see if you need to replace just the actuator or the entire assembly.
When is Car Door Lock Actuator Replacement Needed?
The most common symptoms of a failed car door lock actuator are:
- You are unable to lock the car door
- The car door doesn’t unlock
- The car door lock works infrequently
- You notice an unusual noise while locking or unlocking the doors
- The car alarm starts going off
Suggested for you: Transmission Oil Pressure Switch Replacement Service
How is the Replacement Done?
- Carefully remove the door panel
- Locate the door lock actuator and depress the tab, pull it away from the motor to unplug the single socket running to it
- Remove the rivets from the door body
- Remove the defected actuator
- Install the new car door lock actuator
- Reinstall the door panels
- Test the car door lock to see if it’s working properly
The door lock system of your car doesn’t require regular maintenance. However, if you notice any issues with the locking or unlocking of the door, you should immediately schedule an inspection. On Swezo, you can find expert mechanics at affordable prices.