You will find the brake shoes at the rear wheel of your car if it has a drum brake system. Brake shoes are meant to cause friction between the brake drums and brake pedals when you press the brake pedal. This friction results in the slowing and stopping of the car. Brake shoe replacement is required if the shoe wears down or is faulty.
When is Brake Shoe Replacement Required?
Brake shoes are generally meant to last twice as long as your brake pads. So, you should get your brake shoes replaced every other time you go for brake pad replacement. It’s important to remember that both the brake shoes should be replaced together even if only one is damaged or defective.
A lot of times brake shoes are damaged due to the damages in brake drums or wheel cylinders. In such instances, those components would also need to be replaced. When you go for brake shoe replacement, ensure that your mechanic checks all other braking system components as well.
Some of the common symptoms that indicate the need to replace brake shoes are:
- If you hear noises from the rear brakes
- If you are unable to hold the hand brake
- Another important symptom is the shaking of your vehicle when you apply the brakes.
Why do you need Brake Shoe Replacement?
It’s extremely important to fully functioning brakes. The slightest issues with your braking system can lead to accidents and safety concerns. Moreover, when you ignore small repairs like brake shoe replacement, they often cause bigger issues which will eventually end up costing you a lot more.
Suggested for you: ABS Speed Sensor Replacement Service
How do you Replace the Brake Shoes?
Replacing brake shoes is quite straight-forward.
- Our mechanic will first check the brake shoes for any contamination and measure their thickness
- If the shoe turns out to be faulty, it will be removed
- New brake shoes will be installed at both the rear wheels
- The brakes will be adjusted
- The mechanic will inspect other components like brake drums, brake cylinders, springs, emergency brake cables and so on to ensure all components are working fine
- They will lubricate the backing plate
- And inspect the car’s safety and test drive it to ensure proper operations.
For better safety, we recommend getting the brake shoes inspected once a year. Go to Swezo and find an expert mechanic in just a few clicks. Our certified mechanics will thoroughly inspect the braking system and offer brake shoe replacement services.